For immediate release
October 16, 2019
Brown asks why latest news on delayed Labrador-Island Link was learned by accident
Labrador West MHA Jordan Brown says it’s time to pull back the curtain from Nalcor.
Brown is reacting to startling news arising from the PUB rate mitigation hearings last week about the delays and issues plaguing the Labrador-Island Link.
During testimony at the hearings and subsequent interviews, Nalcor CEO Stan Marshall revealed that it will take “two or three years” for the Labrador-Island Link (LIL) to become operational.
The LIL was supposed to become operational in 2017, yet General Electric, the company contracted to develop the operating software for the Link, has not been able to deliver. Liberty Consulting testified during the rate mitigation hearings that they have lost confidence in GE’s ability to deliver on the contract.
“First it was Astaldi not delivering, now GE? Why are we proceeding with GE if it will take them ‘two or three years’ to get the Labrador-Island Link online?” demanded Brown. “Why are we learning this second hand? The Ball government needs to come clean with the people of the province.”
Brown says Nalcor’s arrogant disregard for keeping the public informed has gone on far too long. He says this new information about the Labrador-Island Link is another example of information that has slipped out rather than been proactively communicated to the ratepayers of the province – who are the owners of Nalcor.
“Marshall said he’s heading to Europe to talk to GE again – how long do we have to wait until we learn the outcome of that meeting?” said Brown.
Brown says the Liberals promised openness and transparency – “they once campaigned on it,” Brown said.
“Yet they continue the tradition of the previous Progressive Conservative government of doing their best to keep Newfoundlanders and Labradorians in the dark.”
For further information, contact Zaren Healey White, Director of Communications, NDP Caucus at 729-2137 (office), 693-9172 (cell), or email@example.com.